I took Addy to the dentist for the first time in June. Addalyn does pretty well brushing her teeth. The one complaint I have is that she is too independent so she rarely lets me help her.
She does her sides, tops and bottoms, front, etc so she's got the right idea, I just don't know how thorough she is :)
I wasn't sure how Addalyn would do at the dentist. She actually doesn't mind going to the doctor at all, so I tried to explain it in a way that she was going to a "doctor for her teeth" and explain what would happen....but you can never prep a little one with such a new and interesting experience.
![]() |
| Waiting Room fun :) |
To start off the experience, the dentist himself came out in the waiting room to talk to Addy and "introduce" himself to her so when she was called back it wouldn't be the first time she would see him. Then when she first went back with the hygenist, the girl talked to her for a while to try and get to know her. At first she was a little shy...
![]() |
| Not so sure what to think... |
She ended up letting the hygenist do everything - check out her teeth, clean/polish them, and even floss them :) She was pretty good when they put the water in her mouth and then used the "suck" tool...it did take a few tries to understand what she is supposed to do.
I think by the time she was finished she was done with all of the new things, because she got very scared and sad when the actual dentist came in, even though she had met him in the waiting room. Poor girl! I think she had warmed up so much to the hygenist and had been allowing a lot of new experiences to happen, that she just was over the experience at that point.
All he was going to do was count her teeth but she wouldn't let him, and he didn't push it. Apparently they had already counted them when the hygenist was working with her - they just say that is what the dentist is doing so that he has a reason to meet with them when they come for the first time...
![]() |
| Making her balloon :) |
![]() |
| All done with my first trip to the dentist! Have my balloon and bag full of my loot in hand! |
Gotta love the convenience of the cameras on our phones! I had asked the hygenists if it was okay to take pictures and if it was an unusual question, they laughed and said that almost every mom takes pictures.









No comments:
Post a Comment