Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Tiny Dancer --- Addy's First Year of Dance!

I mentioned in a post in the fall that Addy was taking her first year of dance class.  She had a weekend of recitals in May --- she did SOOO good!  I honestly wasn't sure how she would do because the first time parents got to sit in and watch (for them to practice dancing in front of people) she got really nervous and started crying about half-way through her performance!

However, that night was off for the class (major tantrum by another little girl) and so it was just a weird night.....and she got better every week!  They did this for about 6 classes before the recital.

I also think it helped that my nieces Brynne, Brooklynn, and Ella are all in dance too.  She looooves to be able to do what her big cousins are doing when we are together...and she sometimes isnt' able to keep up.  But, she was backstage with them, and they were keeping an eye on her so I think that helped her.

Picture Day!
 
The recital was titled "Dancing with Flavor" and every song or artist of the song referenced food/beverages.  So they had these as props for the picture day --- our formal picture isn't with this scene, but Aaron snapped this shot on his phone!
The weekend consisted of a rehearsal on Friday night, and a performance on Saturday and Sunday.  I was nervous the entire weekend....I'm goign to be a wreck as my kids continue to get older and participate in events/sports.  ....seriously.....a wreck!


Rehearsal Night!  Heading to stage :)
I don't have the best camera, but you can see her having fun!



 I was sitting next to my dad during the performance, and he was laughing at how nervous I was.  I kept saying, "seriously dad, when I was in dance at this age, being so little...you didnt' get nervous??!" --- he didn't really answer!  But, my mom assured me she was a nervous wreck through my high school years :)

It's Show Time!  Waiting for the music to start...they danced to Animal Crackers in my Soup by Shirley Temple

My friend Jodi has a wonderful camera, and she is a teacher in Pine Island so she always attends the recital to see all of her kiddos that she teaches/has taught.  She snapped some good ones of Addy during her actual performance!
 
 

 Backstage, Addy did AWESOME!  Shannon (my sis) went during intermission to check on Brynne because she had a costume change - and she ran into Addy.  She said Addy was having a blast and was all excited that she had danced on stage like the other girls. 

On day 2, I had volunteered backstage to help out --- and Addy kept telling me to "go watch the dancers with daddy".  I kept telling her that I was also helping watch other kids, and not just her.  But...I was happy to see her so independent.  It is hit or miss with her and independence (fast forward to this month, when she refused to participate in track and field night here in P.I.  You just never know!)


Backstage after the recital - with her flowers and balloon! 


Proud grandma Bonnie and grandpa Tim giving the performer some hugs!

Proud daddy!

The performers with their grandparents!

Grandma Jean and Grandpa Paul came to the performance on Sunday.  Unfortunately Paul had to head out after her dance, but I goto to capture this one with Jean outside of the school!

 I think it is safe to say we've created a dancer!  I have a burnt CD in my car where she realized that one of the songs is the "song that she bowed to at her recital" -- (Tonights Going to be a Good Night by Black Eyed Peas), and she asks to listen to it almost every time we are in the car.  And, the other day she told me my heals sounded like tap shoes.  I asked her if she wanted to take tap next year and she was all excited!  Too Fun!  I did dance until sports started in 7th grade, so it is fun to see her start as early as I did :)

No comments: