Sunday, June 23, 2013

"School"

We had a fun year of "school".  The kids went to school on Monday nights through Pine Island's ECFE (Early Childhood Family Education) program.  I am very happy that I did that...
 
Both Blake and Addy grew through the year, making progress in their social skills.  Addy and Blake are not shy kids typically, but they both have their moments where they don't want to leave our side.  Typically it can make a difference if they are tired and such -- but at school - they both blossomed!
 
The evening started off with activities and 'play' time - followed by circle time, then a snack to end the night!  I took a few pictures of the last day of school for the year!
 

 
At the beginning of the year, during 'circle time', they both would want me sitting with them on the floor, or come sit by me in the back of the circle.  During circle time they would read a story and talk through some things and then sing/dance to 1 or 2 songs. 
 
By the end of the year, they were independent during circle time!  They would talk and answer questions when Ms. Liz & Ms. Kelly would ask questions, would dance and be silly like the other kids, etc.  It was fun to watch them grow in that way!
 
Story/Circle Time!
 
Ms. Liz with Addy & blake!
 Next school year, Addy will be doing a "School Readiness" session 2 days/week with Ms. Liz in the afternoons.  This is like pre-kindergarten.  Since she's a June birthday, I've been going back and forth between having her start as a young 5 year old, or waiting a year. 

I think she'll be ready academically and socially now, but I worry about middle school and high school.  You just never know how she'll mature.  We'll see!  My gut tells me this is the last year she'll just be my baby, "at home" ..... which puts a nervous/sad feeling in my heart.  They grow up to stinking fast!

Anyway - they had a wonderful year and they love their main teacher, Ms. Liz.  We are looking forward to school in the fall!

No comments: