Saturday, November 2, 2013

Chase's BIRTH Day

After MUCH anticipation...the day of Chase's birth finally came!  He was born  on Wednesday, 10/23/13.  Sunday night into Monday, I actually thought labor was starting.  Aaron and I were up until about 2 in the morning timing contractions - they were coming 3-6 minutes apart, however they were not strong so I wasn't sure if I should go in or not.  Needless to say, they stopped and we ended up getting to sleep. 
 
I had an appointment Monday morning where they checked the fluid levels and such.  I was dilated to 4 at the appointment.  We went home from the appointment, and once again contractions started.  I was sure we were heading in that day, which was the afternoon of 10/21.  Blake's b-day is 10/22, which is something I always wanted to avoid, but I had come to "peace" with that if they shared a birthday, just ready to meet this baby!  It was really weird because they completely stopped again around 6 p.m.  Frustrating!
 
Nothing happened on Blake's birthday, which I am thankful for as we got to spend the day with him, some one on one time with both Aaron and I before the baby came (while Addy was at preschool).
 
I was scheduled for an induction on 10/23 so we headed in to report at 7 a.m.  After getting settled in, and getting me hooked up to IV's, some fluids and pennicillin in me, etc, we finally got things going around 11:00 a.m. with Pitocin.  I was still dilated to only 4. 
 
Around 1:00 I was between 4-5 cm.  They decided that I should get the epidural since I knew I would want one, then they would break my water.  My history with the other 2 is that as soon as my water is broken, the labor starts moving along...so I was all for that plan!
 
I got the epidural around 1:30 and at 2:20 my water was broken.  I was still in a lot of pain as my contractions got stronger because my epidural wasn't working on one side, so they came in and adjusted some things and then life was a bit better!! 
 
At 3:00 I was at 6 cm. and the doctor told me that protocol would say that she doesn't come back for another 2 hours to check again, but knowing my history, I was to call if I needed anything.  3:45 I told Aaron that I really felt like things were moving along but I didn't want to call anyone in too early - and at 3:55 I couldn't stand the pressure and such any longer so we called in the nurse.
 
At exactly 4:00 they announced that I was fully dilated and the baby was +2 so I could push.  However, I had to wait for the doctors to be ready...to hold off was the worst ever!
 
When I was finally able to push, it was only a few minutes and Chase Robert Anderson arrived at 4:08 p.m.!!!!
 
The name Chase has actually been on our list since we were pregnant with Addalyn.  If she had been a boy, it was between the names Blake and Chase...same with baby #2, in which we obviously went with Blake.  Chase still kept rising to the top this time around as well so we knew that would be the name if we were blessed with another boy.  It is PURE coincidence that our kids names go in the order of A, B, C -- we get that question a lot.  They just happen to be in that order :) 
 
Robert is after my grandpa Bob --- my mom's dad, who has definitlely been present these last few months as I see feathers EVERYWHERE - which as I've mentioned before, is something that he said he was send from heaven when he passed on.

First pics of Chase Robert Anderson!
They immediately put Chase to my chest and he was laying face down.  All of the doctors were around me, and I asked if anyone saw if it was a boy or girl.  They all said no --- so I quickly rolled him over to check and Aaron was able to share with the team of doctors and nurses that it was a boy.  Lots of cheers and smiles all around....it is So So So fun being surprised! :)

Our big boy!  9 lb, 11 oz (2 pounds larger at birth that his sister and brother!)
I was SHOCKED when I heard what Chase's weight was...my pregnancy was the same as both Addy and Blake, and I actually gained less weight this time around, so to see that he was 9 pounds, 11 ounces shocked me.  It shocked most of the care team as well!  I can't even begin to explain the way some of them reacted to the weight.

And throughout the stay - people that came in the room to check on either me or Chase, would always take a glance and him and say "he must be a big boy" and then read the information on his basinette and be shocked.  Sort've funny -- I don't feel like he is so big when I hold him or anything, but we did go right into size 1 diapers instead of newborns :)

Getting his feet stamped!
First pic with mom and dad
That evening we got to have visitors right away - my sister Angela who works at the clinic got off work at 5 and came right over before heading home.  Addy, Blake, and grandma Jean arrived around 6.  Addy was SUPER excited and very very curious of all of the items in the room, what they are used for....and she still wants to know how the baby comes out of my tummy.  So far the "doctors help mama" has worked...but she still asks "HOW do they help?"  We just avoid that answer for now :)

 Blake was a little more unsure of what to think.  Not necessarily about his new little brother, but he was not sure about mom being in the bed and such.  He didn't want to come near me or anything, but that was okay.  He would look at Chase and give him kisses and touch him, so that is what I was more concerned with than me :)

World's Best Bro!
Daddy and his 3 Babes
The hospital stay went well.  We had a good amount of visitors and an uneventful stay, which is always nice.  Here are some pics for the rest of our stay!
 



Visit on night #2 (she had to wear her "Amazing Big Sister" shirt again!)

Proud Bro!




Love this one of Aaron and Chase
The outfit that Aaron picked for Chase to go home in...and the puppy that Addy and Blake picked out.  Aaron has bought a new "go home" outfit for each birth and brought it to the hospital washed and ready to be worn home :)
Heading Home!
All in all, Mr. Chase was well worth the wait of 10 days overdue...and I was very happy that my boys get their own "day".  Their birthdays are just a day apart, but at least as they get older, we can try and make their day their own! 

We got home on Friday, 10/25.  Life so far has been good --- I will do another post with life at home :)

1 comment:

Amy T. said...

I got teary eyed reading this! All births are so amazing - I just love big babies!!