Sunday, October 17, 2010

Love You Grandpa Paul :)

My grandpa passed away yesterday morning (Saturday), peacefully in his sleep.  He would be 91 in November - what an amazing life!  Given his age and his health, we had sort've been prepared for him to pass soon - but really, not this soon.  I had thought it'd happen on my maternity leave sometime between now and January, but never thought it'd be day 1 of my leave. 

We visited my grandpa in September and I had a great conversation with him that day.  He told me he was ready to "go" - that he knew where he was going, and ready to see my grandma again.  The peace he seemed to have really does make his passing easier - although it is never easy.

Now - I'm worried I won't be able to attend his funeral.  Which is Wednesday/Thursday.  If I had the baby today, I'd be out of the hospital in time to attend his services.  As Aaron keeps telling me, don't stress over the things you can't control.  Things will work out as they are to be.   
. 
My grandmpa and I in September...he was proud to be Polish (hense his shirt: Polish Mafia!)!


Grandpa and Addy last Halloween - he was the winner of the costume contest at the P.I. nursing home as a pirate.  He was getting ready for this year's contest, hoping to defend his title -- he was going to be a Wizard :)
On a side note - we've been doing everything to get this baby moving.  Pedicures, mopping on my hands and feet, eating spicy food, researching the accupressure points that are to help induce labor, bouncing on an exercise ball, working out on the Wii Fit for a while yesterday...yeah, it's exhausting waiting for this little one! 

3 comments:

Amy T. said...

So sorry to hear about your loss Marissa. From your little stories, he sounds like he was quite a character! Aaron's advice or words of wisdom seem right on! Even if you can't attend the services because you are in the hospital, your Grandpa will understand.

Amy

Jennifer Mulvihill said...

I'm so sorry about your grandpa!

Let me know when the baby's born! I keep checking in to see if there's any new news! :)

Becky said...

So sorry to hear about your loss. Thinking about you and your family:) Hope to hear great news really soon! Fingers are crossed!