Sunday, June 7, 2009

June 3, 2009

I figured I'd recap the day of Addalyn's birth since I haven't said much on here yet!

We got to the hospital at 7:30 to be induced. I was only dilated to 2 1/2 cm & they had to get me to 4 cm before they would start the Pitocin to induce me. We started the Pitocin around noon.
.
I got an epidural around 2, and at about 3:30 they manually broke my water. Addalyn's heart rate was not reacting well to the contractions, so they wanted to monitor her internally rather than through my tummy. They stopped Pitocin at that time because they wanted her to "recover a bit".

A little while later, they started the Pitocin again. Then, our little Addy decided to cause a little bit of drama, and scare her mother VERY much! At about 7:30 p.m. our nurse and doctor came into the room, and were frantically having me go from my left side & right side because Addalyn's heart rate was so low. It was not increasing, so they had me get on my hands and knees (and due to the epidural, they were holding me on my hands/knees since I could not do it myself). More people were coming in my room as this was occurring - there were probably about 8 doctors, nurses, anesthesiologists, etc.

I was so scared, that I was crying and almost hyper-ventilating 'cause we did not know exactly what was going on - everything was happening so fast. Aaron was a saint, trying to keep me calm, especially when you could see in his eyes that he was scared also.

Long story short, we were about 1 minute away from an emergency c-section because of her heart rate being so low & the length of time it was taking for it to increase. But - being on my hands and knees helped, thank goodness.

At that time, I was dilated to 9 - they stopped the Pitocin again for us to relax & recoop - and said I'd probably be able to start pushing in an hour. My epidural was starting to ware off by then, so I was pretty uncomfortable. But, when I was finally able to start pushing, I only had to for about 20 minutes, then Aaron told me before anyone had the chance "It's a girl" and little Addalyn Jane was born.

Sooo, it was a little more dramatic than we hoped for, but that's okay. In the end, we have a healthy little girl who already has her daddy wrapped around her finger and melts her mommy's heart every time I look at her!

Cuddling up after a little sponge bath at home

3 comments:

White said...

I am teared up - that is quite a story! I can't even imagine what you must have been feeling; not knowing what was going to happen. Addalyn is so beautiful! I have been wanting to call, but don't want to wake anyone up from sleeping and of course I am sure you are enjoying your new roles as parents - so know that I have been/am thinking about you guys and hopefully we can talk soon!
MISS YOU!

Amy T said...

Oh my gosh, Marissa that was a very eventful delivery but I am very glad to hear that Addalyn made it through just fine. I am sure that was very scary to have all those clinicians rushing in to your room! I am sure we'll talk soon - enjoy your time with your new baby!

Brooke said...

Wow Marissa, I did not know about the scare that you had. It just goes to show you what a true miracle every baby is. Addalyn is beautiful and I can't wait to meet her. We are definitely going home for the 4th so we will see you guys in less than a month!
Hope you are getting some rest when you can and that all is going well!