Thursday, January 9, 2014

Michigan Christmas

It was a great week in Michigan.  Chase got to meet his grandpa Lowell for the first time along with his aunts/uncles, cousins and great grandma Barb and Teresa...and I got to see the 'Deer Camp' for the first time as well. 
 
We did a lot of just relaxing with the family...but had some good excursions.  The first day we got there we opened gifts with the family, relaxed, and had Congress pizza (one of the best pizzas ever) for supper!  I didn't get pics of the gift opening, but got the boys in this hat from Papa!
 

Blake looks like a mini-Aaron here I think!
 The second day there we went on quite the excursion!  We set out to see their Deer Camp - which I have never been to.  It is not on paved/plowed roads so we weren't sure if we would make it to camp due to the amount of snow.  But, we figured we'd give it a go.

While we were out in the woods, we decided to go off a few beaten paths as we were "hunting" for moose as well!  Once we got to the edge of the paved roads, we all climbed into Lowell's truck to travel through the woods (truly...nothing but trees!)
Here we go!!!!!

Thankfully, Chase did a lot of sleeping on the trip!

The good thing about the slow drive in the woods, the kids got to sit up front to hunt for those moose!
 We did make it to Deer Camp --- but not without some times where there were some butterflies in my stomach.  Twice on the trip Aaron and his dad had to get out and dig the truck out of being stuck...not sure how they managed to pull it off.  On our way out of the woods when we left camp, you could see that if there had been just a few more inches of snow, we wouldn't have made it...as the bottom of the truck was grazing the snow as we drove through, so would've been pushing up snow with just a bit more inches! 

To speak in Yooper terms...."WAH!" --- that drive was fun but I wasn't sure if we were going to make it...and with little cell service, there was a tinge of me that thought "What were we thinking...with 3 little ones in the car!"!!

Safely at deer camp...signing the guest book!

The wall of their "trophy's".
 I will say, other than the out house and no shower, I was pretty impressed with what they have going on out there.   It is literally surrounded by woods, with just a shed, outhouse, sauna, and a pole to hang their deer on around them.  But inside, they have TONS of sleeping room, a couch...and they get satellite set up when they are out there hunting so they have all the sports that a group of men could want.  Sounds rough, huh??!!!

Love this pic of Aaron, his dad and the kiddos!
Papa and Blake!
Just about to leave camp...shot this cute pic of Chase awake!
I had to take this pic from my view in the back seat...this is just as we were leaving camp.  I mean, I'm not exaggerating when I say nothing but trees! 


I mentioned we were moose hunting...if you ask Addy we were hunting for "Muffy the Moose". We drove around the roads for a bit before heading back to our vehicle, and we did end up successfully seeing a moose!  I could never tell the story well enough on a blog, but it is a story that will make me smile every time I think of it.

The moose ended up being not far off the path, but Lowell got so excited that we saw one, he jumped out of his truck and opened the back for me to jump out and take a pic with my camera (although it was close enough, we would've gotten an AWESOME shot from the truck!)

Needless to say that startled the moose, so she took off...in which Lowell started running in the woods after it.  I thought for a moment that this seemed a bit crazy --- however I figured Lowell knew what he was doing.  Well, we turned a corner behind some trees and there she was, with her calf.  I got some good pictures, but this is one of the best of just one of them.


Lowell running through the woods after the moose.  If only you could have seen the motions he was doing and heard the noise he was making to try and get the moose to stop and come closer.  Such a great memory in my head!
 I am not one to usually run after an animal, especially a mama with her baby --- but I'm glad that I ran out there with Lowell.  So cool!

Blake didn't want to get out of papa's truck so he got to ride home in there.  Lowell said they had some great conversation.  I just love how much my kids warm up to everyone in Michigan, especially since there is never enough time and we definitely don't get to see everyone as much as we would love to.
 The next day I was able to see some more of Aaron's family at a baby shower for one of his cousin's...and then we headed off to watch our nephew Jeffrey play hockey.  Addy and Chase stayed home with Tam/Ed because the rink wasn't heated.  But, Blake wanted to join us.  So, he got some one-on-one time with mom and dad...a rare thing!

Watching Jeffrey sitting on Auntie Tina's lap. 
 None of the pics of Jeffrey on the ice turned out...bummer!

__

Just a few random pics of Michigan!

Miss Holly Sue is getting way too big!

Again, just love how well they warm up to everyone.  They cuddle right into their big cousins!!!
Papa Lowell and Chase!

No comments: